Thursday, November 7, 2013

INTERNATIONAL QUILT SHOW HOUSTON 2013

YEP..Here I am at the International Quilt Show with my Pickin Berries on display.  What a thrill.  A life long dream fulfilled.

A special thanks to Sheelagh Richards for coming to Houston with me and taking some really great photos...although most of them are just me and my quilt!

I did a little PR for Costa Rican coffee while I my head was swelling from the adulations.  A few lucky people went home with a bag of coffee.

For those of you who have followed my blog and progress....I have come a long way from my first sketch as shown below.



“I am so proud to be representing Costa Rica in one of the largest International Quilt Shows. I was selected as one of 22 finalists in the specific category of quilts demonstrating the theme of TRADITIONS. 

As I watched my neighbors head off one morning to pick coffee, I reflected on the dichotomy between the current influx of technology (cell phones, cell towers, laptops, and flat screen TVs) and the manually intensive process of hand picking coffee beans.  This was the inspiration for my quilt “Pickin Berries”.

I wanted to capture three generations of Costa Ricans maintaining their agri-tradition of hand picking coffee berries, even as technology encroaches on the horizon and modernization influences the youth.

I hope my work will encourage more women to enjoy the art of quilting in Costa Rica¨

WHAT´s NEXT????


No comments:

Post a Comment