Monday, December 29, 2008

Oranges Anyone?


We are so fortunate to have a ton of fruit trees on our properties. The best are the oranges and limes. On our home property we have a species of orange tress that I have not seen elsewhere in Costa Rica. The oranges are huge, thin skinned, seedless, juicy and sweet. My husband, Sergio, insists that you eat them rather than juice them. We also have a grove (50 trees) of limes. In season the limes are as big as oranges and so juicy. Great for gin and tonics.

This is a picture of Sergio with a pile of our juice oranges, Valencia, which we occassionally sell at market. Now you know why I say that we are "gentlemen farmers."

We also have bananas, papayas, plantains, mangos, mandarinas, guiyabas, garambolas (star fruit), water apples and probably a few other edibles. We share these with family and friends.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is wonderful, I would love to see your farm! I wish I could share eating your fruit too! Beautiful. You should paint those oranges or make a quilt of all the fruits you grow!

    ReplyDelete